Wednesday, January 2, 2008

More pictures of driving fom Uluru to Perth...

 1) Come and join me to see what it's like to drive those 3'150 kilometers. 

- Pictures are (mostly) in chronological order















































2) The Land Roamer needs new tires !
One of my Michelin XZL 275/80 R20 tyres (which were shipped from the Netherlands to Mongolia at great expense!) tore on a sidewall after only 30,000 km and I had to drive 1,500 km without a spare until I could get new tyres (whereas Australian vehicles venturing into the outback always have 2 spares). 

The other 3 tyres had a tread pattern left for another 5000 kms or so, they were slowly coming to the end of their life - I'm disappointed, I thought these tyres would last longer. 

Not finding the same tyre sizes, I order 4 tyres in 37x12.5 R20 (126Q), Yokohama Geolander XAT. As I don't do much off-roading, I'm happy with this profile: they are much quieter than the "cobblestones" of the XZL. They have a slightly smaller diameter under load and are wider.


Ha, ha, in Melbourne, the nuts had been tightened with an air gun: impossible to undo a couple of  them with my wheel spanner. I had to use the heavy jack as a "hammer" and hit on the handle to free the nuts !
1'500 kilometers withous a spare : stay Zen, 
statistically I should have no other problems for a while!






My new shoes !

3) Let's visit more "Outback Roadhouses"

Notice that the pumping columns are "caged-in" to prevent Aboriginal people from "sniffing" gasoline in order to get "high"!









4) Visit of another open museum "Hannans North Mine"

In June 1893, Paddy Hannan, Thomas Flanagan and Dan Shea found close to 100 ounces of alluvial gold near Mt Charlotte, a short distance from what is now the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. This find sparked the Western Australian gold rush and unearthed one of the richest goldfields in the world, the famous Golden Mile. By 1903 the Golden Mile was home to 49 operating mines, 88 roasters, 100 headframes and more than 3,500 kilometres of underground development.



























5) More pictures of Fremantle : to the market and at night
















6) "I was there..."




7) I slept there...










8) Miscellaneous...







Next part of trip : Perth to Darwin is here