Thursday, January 10, 2008

Misfortunes on the Australian outback...

Here’s a recap of my misfortunes with the clutch of my Land Roamer

... #1 - Near the Town of Katherine

Friday September 18, 2022 

It all started when my clutch disc tore for the 2nd time on this world tour (the first time was in Borneo!) this near Katherine, a small town 310 kilometres south of Darwin; I had to get a flatbed truck and David, the driver, took me back to Katherine.


In the sun, I remove the gearbox and contemplate my broken disc...
For the non "technical" people, those 3 pieces should form ONE disc as below..

So I'm stuck in Katherine, waiting for a used clutch to be sent from Melbourne. I bought this used one as it’s impossible to find a new clutch in Australia and as I did not want to wait for 2-3 weeks to receive by express courier a clutch sent from France. I was impatient to get to Cape York before the rainy season which was to start soon there.



Suspecting that the gearbox is the culprit, I manged to buy online a used gearbox from a Peugeot 505 TD and have it shipped urgently (at great expense) to Katherine. 
Alas, when I receive it, I notice that it's NOT exactly the same gearbox and that it will NOT fit my Land Roamer!
The bugger of the seller insists that I send him 10$ as his bank deducted a few $ from my bank transfer from Switzerland - Argh !!!

Finally, there is a space under a shed and I can refit the clutch and gearbox under shade!







Friday September 30. After reassembling the clutch and the gearbox, I leave Katherine around noon; I take the Stuart Highway which runs towards the centre and the south of the country and on the advice of an Australian I met in Katherine, I branch off towards Borroloola, the first stage of tracks along the Gulf of Carpentaria which should lead me to Cairns, my next destination. Caution advised me to stay on the main national road to arrive in Cairns, but by taking these tracks, I gained 300 kilometres and passed through interesting areas. Even being 70 years old, I continue to "live dangerously", as I took  this riskier option with a worn-out and untested clutch...

The first evening, I sleep along the road, in a basic rest area next to the road.

Saturday October 1st. I continue my road towards Borroloola which I reach at the beginning of the afternoon. It is one of those "old" roads (endangered specie!) where only the central lane is paved and you have to bite on the stabilized earth shoulders to avoid oncoming vehicles.


I fill up with diesel and decide to spend the night at a campsite (off-season rate) to enjoy a shower before several days on the road. At the campsite, I offer a beer to Steve, an eccentric and as we talk, we change the world and stop all wars.

... #2 - Near the tiny town of Katherine

Sunday October 2. After the night at the campsite, I set off on these outback tracks which are neither good nor particularly bad, but on which there are very few vehicles. 

After 190 kilometres, at around 3:00 p.m., “clack” my clutch broke! 

I will be stranded on the side of the road for 6 days...
Until a tow truck arrives and takes me back to "my" camping in Borroloola

As expected, the clutch plate is completely destroyed...

I dismantle the clutch bell housing and notice that an oil seal is partially broken and that there is s bit of play in the bearing of the input shaft... Hum... my gearbox is in BAD shape, it will need being replaced as soon as possible/convenient...

Many, many weeks later, when I return from Darwin with my spare parts (including 2 discs!) I start to fit the clutch and gearbox. 




There are issues witht the clutch master cylinder, I will have to get another one...

When I have a breakdown, it's very nice to have my mini-motorcycle to go to town!