Monday, May 1, 2023

Magical islands of the Southern Pacific Ocean

While my Land Roamer is being shipped from Australia to Chileduring 7 weeks I shall fly to visit a number of islands. 

Later from Chile, I shall fly to visit Easter Island - Rapa Nui.

The Pacific Ocean is the largest and deepest of Earth's five oceanic divisions. It extends from the Arctic Ocean in the north to the Southern Ocean (or, depending on definition, to Antarctica) in the south, and is bounded by the continents of Asia and Oceania in the west and the Americas in the east.


I visited these islands in the order as below: 

      - Republic of Vanuatu is here 

      - New Caledonia is here 

      - French Polynesia is here 

      - Pitcairn Island is here

      - Easter Island ...  Will be here


Even though the flying distance between Melbourne and Santiago is 11'300 km, with my insatiable curiosity, to cross the Pacific Ocean and later from Santiago to visit Easter Island, I :

      - Flew 32'950 km in 17 flights!

      - Travelled 1'150 km in hired cars and scooters

      - Travelled 1'090 km in 4 sea crossings

=> for a total of 35,280 km! 

... And I crossed the International Date Line 3 times!